Tuesday March 27, 2018
Many people know that hospice is a program that is used at the end of life, but may wonder “what services does hospice provide?” Hospice has a holistic focus and provides services far beyond medical care – caring for the patient’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs while also supporting the needs of the patient’s loved ones.
Abramson Hospice provides a number of services to help address the emotional and physical needs of patients and their family members, including:
- Pain management and symptom control. The main goal of hospice is to help patients remain as comfortable as possible. Our experienced Hospice team will work with you and your loved one to create an individualized care plan that meets your loved one’s needs.
- Specialized pharmacy services and medication.
- 24-hour on-call support by a hospice registered nurse. Family members can take comfort in the fact that they can reach a registered nurse at any time of the day or night.
- Personal care by trained hospice aides. Dressing, toileting, and bathing are just some examples of how a trained hospice aide can help provide care for your loved one.
- Volunteers for companionship. We encourage loved ones to spend as much time with the patient as possible, but know there are times that they will need to step away to take care of themselves or their families. Hospice services provide specially trained volunteers that are able to help provide respite care and companionship when family members need a break.
- Spiritual support by chaplains. Part of caring for the whole patient is addressing the spiritual needs that often arise at the end of life. No matter what religion, our chaplains are well-versed in all denominations to provide counseling to both patients and their family members.
- Emotional support for patients and their loved ones. Our hospice social workers are available to provide emotional support and services.
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapies as needed.
- Bereavement services. Counseling and support groups are available for family members.
If you are interested in learning more about what services hospice provides, please call 215-371-1393.