Friday September 8, 2017
Since September is Healthy Aging month, it is a good time to assess your approach to aging while developing a plan that incorporates your present activities adding new approaches to living a healthy life. Just as you make New Year resolutions, it is important to develop a plan to living a healthy life in your senior years. It is helpful to review the recommendations below and incorporate those steps that best fit your life style.
- Don’t act your age since age is just a number. This is not a form of denial of your age but an approach to incorporating positive psychology or thinking into your life. Wear whatever clothes your like, get involved in activities that interest you and avoid naysayers that tell you that you are too old to live the life that is best for you.
- Surround yourself with positive people and positive messages. Incorporate a mantra or tell yourself a message everyday like, “I am a vibrant person who can enjoy life and can make a difference to myself everyday. “
- Get involve in some form of exercise. Everyone can exercise even if they have physical limitations. Get advice from your physician and even ask him if you get involved in certain activities like yoga, meditation, stretching, swimming etc
- Continue learning. It is important to exercise your mind.
- Have goals and plans for the future.
- Think about learning some form of technology. This is a great way to communicate with younger people in your life, communicate with friends and be current with events in the world.
- Maintain a healthy weight, blood pressure and cholesterol level.
- Be a kid again and explore previous interests that you may not have had time to explore.
- Stay in touch with people, don’t be a loner or coach potato.
- Develop a purpose to your life. This will be a developing process that may involve various steps and could change over time.
- Consider volunteering. Many studies prove that volunteering can reduce depression, help develop one’s purpose due to the satisfaction of helping others.
Start today. Reinvent your life as you're celebrating Healthy Aging Month. Make this your year of Healthy Aging.